I don't understand why independent angle in Bone Constrain is not animatable.

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Post Reply
User avatar
Panha
Posts: 243
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:59 am

I don't understand why independent angle in Bone Constrain is not animatable.

Post by Panha »

I have requested a new feature for the animation keyframe or animation for independent angle for long time; As I remember, maybe before the a few last updated version. I think Independent Angle should be animated, and I hope the developer team is working on it for the next updates too.
Sreng Pagna, animator and author
User avatar
Greenlaw
Posts: 11150
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:45 am
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Re: I don't understand why independent angle in Bone Constrain is not animatable.

Post by Greenlaw »

Hi,

I'm not sure what you mean. I animate Independent Angle all the time, typically for foot setups. For example...

Image

In the above, I'm using Independent Angle to keep the foot bone level with the ground, but I'm also keyframing the rotation of the bone after the foot is lifted off the ground.

What Independent Angle does is it puts a bone's rotation into world space, so it effectively bypasses the rotation of parent bones. It should not prevent you from keyframing the bone.

Are you not seeing this behavior?

Image
Animations, Tutorials, and Cats (Oh, My!) Little Green Dog Channel on YouTube!

D.R. Greenlaw
Artist/Partner - Little Green Dog
Little Green Dog Channel | My DreamWorks Animation Reels & Others
User avatar
Greenlaw
Posts: 11150
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:45 am
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Re: I don't understand why independent angle in Bone Constrain is not animatable.

Post by Greenlaw »

Oh, wait! I know what meant: Independent Angle's on/off state should be keyframeable. Yes, I agree with you! I've asked for this option myself. Sorry, it was early in the morning and I had not had my coffee yet. :D

You can sort of work around this limitation using Vitruvian Bones, but having a keyframeable On/Off option would be easier and very useful, especially when used in a Smart Bone.

Image
Animations, Tutorials, and Cats (Oh, My!) Little Green Dog Channel on YouTube!

D.R. Greenlaw
Artist/Partner - Little Green Dog
Little Green Dog Channel | My DreamWorks Animation Reels & Others
User avatar
Panha
Posts: 243
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:59 am

Re: I don't understand why independent angle in Bone Constrain is not animatable.

Post by Panha »

Greenlaw wrote: ↑Fri May 30, 2025 10:39 am Oh, wait! I know what meant: Independent Angle's on/off state should be keyframeable. Yes, I agree with you! I've asked for this option myself. Sorry, it was early in the morning and I had not had my coffee yet. :D

You can sort of work around this limitation using Vitruvian Bones, but having a keyframeable On/Off option would be easier and very useful, especially when used in a Smart Bone.

Image
Yes, that's what I mean. :D
Sreng Pagna, animator and author
User avatar
Greenlaw
Posts: 11150
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:45 am
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Re: I don't understand why independent angle in Bone Constrain is not animatable.

Post by Greenlaw »

Yeah, keyframeable Independent Angle something I can really use, but got used to not having it, and almost forgot about it. :D

The other feature I still want is keyframeable visibility for bones. I use Vitruvian Bones as a workaround for this, too, but it would be simpler if I could keyframe a bone's visibility directly.

Hopefully, we'll see these features someday! They would be super helpful!

Image
Animations, Tutorials, and Cats (Oh, My!) Little Green Dog Channel on YouTube!

D.R. Greenlaw
Artist/Partner - Little Green Dog
Little Green Dog Channel | My DreamWorks Animation Reels & Others
User avatar
Panha
Posts: 243
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:59 am

Re: I don't understand why independent angle in Bone Constrain is not animatable.

Post by Panha »

Greenlaw wrote: ↑Sat May 31, 2025 8:38 am keyframeable visibility for bones.

Sound like a good feature. I hope we will have it in the near future updates. :D
Sreng Pagna, animator and author
User avatar
jayfaker
Posts: 173
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:21 am

Re: I don't understand why independent angle in Bone Constrain is not animatable.

Post by jayfaker »

Yes! But not just on and off. It would be nice to have a percentage to smoothly transition it from 100% influence and 0%.

Similarly, I would like to be able to animate which bones are control bones. That way I can have an arm with bones that reference two other sets of bones, an IK set and an FK set. And then I can transition between which set is driving the actual arm bones.

And the ability to create bone groups so you can hide and show them by group (not just vitruvian or a single shy 'group') would be super helpful to keep everything clean.
User avatar
martin_mrt
Posts: 72
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:09 am

Re: I don't understand why independent angle in Bone Constrain is not animatable.

Post by martin_mrt »

I came here to post that exact request: Please make the independent angle option keyable.

That would be really really awesome!

Just found out recently that targets are keyable. which actually blew my mind. thats awesome. would be even awesomer with independent angle keyable.

pls. <3
XD
User avatar
martin_mrt
Posts: 72
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:09 am

Re: I don't understand why independent angle in Bone Constrain is not animatable.

Post by martin_mrt »

jayfaker wrote: ↑Mon Jun 02, 2025 11:11 am
And the ability to create bone groups so you can hide and show them by group (not just vitruvian or a single shy 'group') would be super helpful to keep everything clean.
On our project we use the Toggle Color Bones Script for that. Works very niceley. eg. all face bones are one color and toggled on or off when needed.
User avatar
synthsin75
Posts: 10576
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:20 pm
Location: Oklahoma
Contact:

Re: I don't understand why independent angle in Bone Constrain is not animatable.

Post by synthsin75 »

martin_mrt wrote: ↑Wed Sep 30, 2026 10:33 am I came here to post that exact request: Please make the independent angle option keyable.

That would be really really awesome!

Just found out recently that targets are keyable. which actually blew my mind. thats awesome. would be even awesomer with independent angle keyable.
Luckily, you can cheat animated independent angle... with an animated target:
Image

Just create a small bone with the same parent and set it to independent angle and make that bone the parent of a target. Now when your bone targets this target, it acts like independent angle, and when it doesn't, it acts normally.

Hope that helps.
Post Reply